Friday, May 24, 2013

A Fighting Man of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs - 279 pages




The 7th book in the John Carter of Mars series, this book follows the same pattern as most in the series. That fact bothered me for the first few chapters...until I realized that it is exactly that simple plot of adventure, romance, and sci-fi fantasy that keeps me coming back for more.

A Fighting Man of Mars only mentions John Carter on the periphery of the story and instead centers around Hadron of Hastor, a young knight in Helium's army (I realize I have lost most of you already).  He falls in love...his love is kidnapped by an evil king...he goes to rescue her and all manner of intrigue, swashbuckling, romance, and sci-fi excitement ensue.

If you know and like the John Carter series, you will like this solid entry in the canon.

No comments:

Post a Comment